Keep Akron Beautiful’s largest cleanup effort will take place this Saturday, April 22, from 9 a.m. to noon at Summit Lake. Volunteer groups like WPC Tween Group, Anonymous Akron Ohio, University of Akron Williams Honors College and Bridget’s Drill Team and more have already committed to making a difference in our community.
Kick-off will take place at Reach Opportunity Center at 390 W. Crosier Ave., and all residents are invited to volunteer.
Support is offered from area partners Ohio Erie Canalway Coalition, Let’s Grow Akron, Kenmore Neighborhood Alliance, Akron Police Department, Kenmore Kiwanis, Portage and Paddle, Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority and the Ohio EPA.
Other cleanup projects will also be taking place all throughout Akron this weekend:
- Girl Scout Troops 90056, 90653, 90765, 91054 will clean Waters Park on North Hill (Olive Street), Friday, April 21 at 6:30 p.m.
- The Lift Up Ministries Group will be cleaning up Frederick Boulevard to Stoner Ave. Saturday, April 22 at 8 a.m.
- The CASE PTA Group will be cleaning Hardesty Park (1615 W. Market St.), Saturday, April 22 at 10 a.m.
- Building and Rebuilding Foundation will be cleaning up at Manchester Road, Saturday, April 22 at 10 a.m.
- Cascade Locks Park Association will be cleaning up Cascade Locks Park (248 Ferndale St.), Saturday, April 22 at 11:00 a.m.
Even though Earth Day is April 22, Keep Akron Beautiful encourages neighborhoods to celebrate it every day, especially during the month of April, which is Clean Up Akron Month. Community members are encouraged to take an active role in beautifying the city by signing up to do cleanup projects at parks, recreation areas, waterways and even the streets of their own neighborhood.
There is still time to register for a cleanup site. Call (330) 375-2116 or register online at www.keepakronbeautiful.org.
Keep Akron Beautiful provides all the supplies necessary to perform a litter clean-up, including trash bags, recycling bags, hand sanitizer and gloves—for free. Registrations will be accepted until April 29.