One of a Kind Pets is looking to turn one man’s trash into another’s treasure to find homes for homeless animals through the organization's 2nd annual Rummage Sale, which takes place July 7. Every Wednesday until then the nonprofit will host a drop-off from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the shelter's drive-through location next to the spay and neuter clinic at 1710 West Exchange St. in Akron.
If you’ve done your spring cleaning and have gently used clothing and other items, One of a Kind Pets encourages you to donate.
One of a Kind Pets lives up to its name: creating a safe haven for abandoned, abused, and stray animals in imminent danger of euthanasia. The group rescues more than 1,200 animals a year, giving 1,154 a home last year.
“There’s a need for a shelter like this probably in every community because people do not spay and neuter their pets. It creates a large influx of unwanted pregnancies, unwanted puppies and kittens, and the burden is on animal welfare in every community to take these animals in and try to get them adopted out into homes,” Georgette Thomas, director of Advancement at One of a Kind Pets, said.
“We’re a two-prong organization, not just a shelter. We were founded in 2005 as a nonprofit rescue. In 2007, we opened our spay and neuter clinic because it was evident that this fountain of unwanted pets was never going to shut off unless we could offer the community low-cost, affordable, high-quality spay and neuter surgical services. Making it affordable to the public will enable them to do the right thing when it comes to their pets and obviously then it’s going to reduce the amount of births going forward,” Thomas said.
Roughly 90 percent of the shelter's animals have been rescued from animal control facilities, just prior to their scheduled euthanasia. “The remaining 10 percent of the population we have in the shelter are owner surrenders when maybe a family member dies or there’s been a tragedy or someone goes into a nursing home. We do a small percentage of puppy mill rescues and then we have the occasional stray,” Thomas shared.
She said it takes a community to really tackle this issue.
“There are several hard-working foster programs doing their part on a smaller scale and obviously our Summit County Animal Control is doing their fair share of adoptions as well. So it really does take a community. We are far from a no-kill community, but everybody is doing better,” Thomas said.
One of a Kind is a no-kill facility, but couldn’t exist without the support the group receives. “We thank the community for their continued support,” Thomas said.
For more information on One of a Kind Pets, visit www.oneofakindpets.com.