On Saturday, April 26, more than 1,500 Ys across the country are taking part in Healthy Kids Day®, holding free community events that are open to all kids and families and filled with fun, active play and educational opportunities.
Summer is the time for kids to get up, get out and grow. But for some kids, exposure to activities that stimulate the body and mind ends with the school year. In fact, research shows that kids are prone to gain more weight and fall behind in studies. On April 26, the Y will celebrate Healthy Kids Day, a Y national initiative to improve the health and well-being of kids.
“It’s not always easy to make healthy choices, and that’s why Healthy Kids Day is so important to families within the community. Parents and children will learn that by planning ahead and making a commitment to being active together — a healthy day can become a healthy lifestyle.” said Doug Kohl, President and CEO of the Akron Area YMCA. “Healthy Kids Day engages kids and families with a range of simple, fun and interesting activities. Our staff along with community participants, have been planning their Healthy Kids Day events for months.”
The Akron Area YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day takes place on Saturday, April 26, 2014 at various times and branch locations. The Akron Area YMCA is also offering a one-day membership savings of 50% Off the Start-Up fee if you become on member on Healthy Kids Day.
For a schedule of activities, visit akronymca.org/hkd or contact an Akron Area YMCA branch near you for Healthy Kids Day details.
• Riverfront YMCA: 9 a.m. – noon
544 Broad Blvd., Cuyahoga Falls / 330.923.9622
• Green YMCA: 9 a.m. – noon
3800 Massillon Road, Uniontown / 330.899.9622
• Wadsworth YMCA: 9 – 11:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (open swim only)
623 School Drive, Wadsworth / 330.334.9622
• University Park YMCA: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
477 W. Market St., Akron / 330.434.9622
• Lake Anna YMCA: 10 a.m. – noon
500 W. Hopocan Ave., Barberton / 330.745.9622
• Firestone Park YMCA: 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
350 E. Wilbeth Road, Akron / 330.724.1255
• East Akron YMCA: 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
(New Location) 888 Jonathan Ave., Akron / 330.784.0408
Healthy Kids Day tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development.
- Foster an Early and Onging Passion for Books – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events – Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs, bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together – Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Lead By Example – Be a good role model. Kids can be influenced by seeing how hard their parents work at home or on the job, and how rewarding that experience is.
About the Akron Area YMCA
The Akron Area YMCA is a powerful association of men, women and children joined together by a shared commitment of nurturing youth potential, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. We believe that lasting personal and social change can only come about when we all work together to invest in our kids, our health and our neighbors. Strengthening community is our cause. Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. For more information about the Akron Area YMCA, please visit www.akronymca.org or call (330) 376-1335.