Each year for the past 16 years, Akron area Girl Scouts try to make the holiday season a little brighter for families living at the Battered Women’s Shelter, Access Shelter, Harvest House for Women, Haven of Rest and Safe Landing Youth Shelters by providing a shoebox filled with much needed personal items.
The nonprofit is currently seeking donations of shoeboxes or similar type plastic containers with lids, for children, teens and adult men and women. Donors should choose a gender and age category for their shoe box; wrap a shoebox and lid separately; fill the box with hygiene items, small toys, books, games, books, socks, hats, gloves, jewelry, etc., add a nice greeting card and attach a tag on top of the lid identifying the gender and age group of the recipient.
1. Choose an age and gender group from the choices listed below*.
2. Wrap your shoebox and lid SEPARATELY from the box (for security reasons)
3. Fill your shoebox with basic hygiene items listed below**. (Plastic containers with closable lids may also be used as a shoebox and may be used as storage)
4. Add a card, some toys, games, books, socks, hats, gloves, T-shirts, jewelry, etc. if you wish.
5. Write the gender and age group on a tag and attach it to the top of the lid.
6. Drop off your shoebox at the locations listed below or call to arrange pick-up.
Boys: Ages – 0-1, 2-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-17
Girls: Ages – 0-1, 2-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-17
Women: Ages 18 years and above
Men: Ages 18 years and above
**Suggested items to fill a shoebox include:
Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, washcloth, soap, shower gel, shower sponge, feminine products, lotion, body spray, razors, shaving gel, shower cap, comb, brush, grooming kit, socks, dental floss, cleansing wipes, books, journals, games , hats, gloves, scarves, pencils, pens, toys and an encouraging note or card.
Drop-off dates are Dec. 12 and 19 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the New Horizons Christian Church, 290 Darrow Road, Akron, Ohio 44305. Please contact troop leader Diane DeStefano at (330) 283-0831or by email [email protected] for more info or to arrange a pickup.