Various forms of needle arts were elevated to an art form during the Victorian era and promoted as a socially and morally acceptable pastime for women, both working and wealthy class. Exquisite selections from the Hower House Collection will be on display for the summer, along with related programs throughout the exhibit.
Available during regular tour times: Wednesday-Saturday, from Noon to 3:00 pm) and during special events. Visit our website (noted below) for updated Events information.
Group Tours and/or special visits to The Carriage House or our lovely Cellar Door Store are available. Call 330.972.6909 or email us at [email protected] for more information. The Cellar Door Store, with a wide range of Victoriana, is normally open during regular tour times and special events.
Location: 60 Fir Hill, Akron, OH 44325. Hower House Museum is a Victorian Mansion built in 1871 by John Henry Hower and his wife Susan, one of Akron’s leading industrial families. Historically, the house is the last remaining mansion from Akron’s first “Gold Coast” and was home to three generations of a family that shaped local history.
Architect Jacob Snyder designed the distinctive, elegant Second Empire Italianate style structure. It has been called one of the finest examples of this style in Ohio and it is on the National Register for Historic Places. Hower House Museum is owned and operated by The University of Akron. Free Parking is available on-site or at nearby UA lots.
Call 330.972.6909 for more information. Visit www.howerhouse.org for additional information about other upcoming events, more about the history of Hower House, and the impact the Hower Family has had on the Akron Community. Find us on Facebook under: Hower House – the University of Akron.