This weekend’s Flair Fest, an event commemorating the success of last year’s Gay Games, will offer two days of activities and events. Sponsored by the City of Akron and the GG9 Akron Taskforce, the LGBTQ festival’s organizers have planned the weekend’s festivities in the spirit of acceptance and inclusiveness. A mass wedding will take place Saturday at the Akron Civic Theatre to honor the passage of Marriage Equality on June 26.
Flair Fest takes place this Friday, Aug. 14, and Saturday, Aug. 15, in downtown Akron on Main Street from 11:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. each day. There will be an art show, live entertainment, food vendors and a number of activities and educational resources.
Flair Fest events include:
- On Friday, Links and Drinks, a golf outing and cocktail reception presented by the Summit Convention and Visitors Bureau, will take place at Mud Run Golf Course from 1 to 6 p.m. The cost is $40 per person, or $25 for the cocktail reception only (More info here.)
- On Saturday, Summit Pride Ride is a 10K bike ride that will begin at Lock 3 at 10 a.m. and end at the Akron Zoo at noon. Pride Ride is a fundraiser for CANAPI (Community AIDS Network/Akron Pride Initiative), an organization whose stated vision is, “To empower an inclusive community through education, awareness and outreach while eliminating stigma and HIV transmission.” There is a $20 per person participation fee and children 12 and under are free with a paid adult. There will be limited bike rentals available at $15 per bike (More info here.)
- Lock 3 will offer evening entertainment. On Friday an ABBA tribute band, Four Swedes: the Abbamania Experience, will perform, along with Mystic Taxi. This show is free to the public. Gates open at 6 p.m.
- Saturday’s Lock 3 show will open with Akron’s own Rachel Roberts followed by headliners Alex Newell (“Unique” Adams from GLEE) and platinum pop artist Taylor Dayne. Tickets are $10 and are only available at the gate.
- In celebration of the passage of marriage equality, the Akron Civic Theatre, located at 200 S. Main St., will host a mass wedding on the grand staircase Saturday (Aug. 15) at 6:30 p.m. All are welcome to participate in the ceremony, not just the LGBTQ community. The ceremony is open to all who wish to renew their vows or legalize their commitment ceremonies, as well as those who married in other states and want to renew their vows in Ohio, or those who wish to marry for the first time. Marriage license applications will be available at Flair Fest on Friday, Aug. 14, at the CANAPI and Gay Community Endowment Fund booths. To register for the wedding, send the following to [email protected]: names of couple, best contact phone numbers and email addresses. Space may be limited so register as early as possible. Please know you will be requested to sign a waiver of release for photographs and other incidentals; but, this will not prevent you from participating in the ceremony if you choose not to sign. (Visit the event page.)