Tucked into the hilly terrain between downtown and West Akron is a vital piece of Akron’s past, and a scenic landscape with nationally noted landmarks, like grand mausoleums, a Gothic Revival Civil War Chapel and a bell tower that at one time would chime with the passing of early Akronites.
Yes, Historic Glendale Cemetery is a cemetery, but it’s so much more. The expansive 150 acres features statues, obelisks and the Great Meadow, which is host to outdoor dance performances, movies and other community activities, along with historic reenactments and memorial services.
Nearly 200 years old, the stories of those interred here could fill libraries: Frank Seiberling, founder of Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, John Buchtel, who founded what is now University of Akron; Ohio Columbus Barber, “America’s Match King”; and the founder of Quaker Oats, along with people from nearly every war this country’s participated in.
J.D. Commins founded the cemetery in 1839. He initially sought a place to inter his son, who had since passed away and was preserved until he could find the proper place.
Historic Glendale Cemetery is located at 150 Glendale Ave. Visit www.glendaleakron.com.